Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Making Gluten Free Rice Krispies Treats with Kellogg's Gluten Free Rice Krispies Cereal



With raised awareness of celiac disease and gluten intolerance, more companies are offering gluten free foods. When I saw Kellogg's now offers a gluten free version of its Rice Krispies cereal, my first thought was, "Yay! Rice Krispie Treats".

So I made a test batch, following the recipe posted on theRice Krispies website, except I cut it in half. The gluten free cereal is made from whole grain brown rice, which can have a kind of earthy taste to it. I worried the treats would have a weird after taste – so I made a small batch so as not to waste ingredients.

Another reason for the smaller batch is that we –meaning my family- don't need a 9x13 pan of Rice Krispies Treats. They're best when eaten within a day, and we wouldn't eat a large pan in a day.

As it turns out, there is no weird after taste. The treats taste exactly like I remember them tasting. So bravo to Kellogg's for coming out with such an excellent product.

To make the 8x8 pan of Rice Krispies Treats:

1 ½ tablespoons of gluten free butter spread
2 cups of miniature marshmallows
3 cups of gluten free Rice Krispies cereal

Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
Add the marshmallows and stir over medium heat until melted.
Add the cereal to the melted marshmallow and stir to coat.

Spread the mixture in an 8x8 pan sprayed with gluten free cooking spray.
Let the pan sit for about an hour, then cut into squares.

If you want to store any leftovers, wrap the treats in aluminum foil or store in sealed container. But eat them within a day or two.

Smaller Portions
One of the aspects of going gluten free, I've found, is that baking in smaller portions works best. Trying to bake a large batch of brownies, for example, often results in the brownies in the middle of the baking dish being undercooked, while the outer brownies are overcooked.

Gluten free bread, to, seems to have a better 'crumb' to it if the loaf is smaller. Udi's white bread, my son's favorite, is 12 ounces. And it tastes quite good, especially with hazelnut spread.
I've been buying Udi's bread, even though it's expensive, because my own attempts at breadmaking weren't all that successful. But I always tried to make a 'regular sized' loaf of bread. I think perhaps I'll try a different approach and work on something a little bit smaller.

If it doesn't work out, that's okay. I've got a whole stash of Udi's in the freezer.

No comments: